Athlete may apply retroactively for a TUE (but must still meet the Criteria for Granting a TUE) if one of any of the following exceptions applies:
- You required emergency or urgent treatment of a medical condition.
- There was insufficient time, opportunity or other exceptional circumstances that prevented you from submitting the TUE application, or having it evaluated, before getting tested.
- You were not permitted or required to apply in advance for a TUE as per Anti-Doping Rules of Anti-Doping Organization of Hong Kong, China.
- You are a lower-level athlete who is not under the jurisdiction of an International Federation or National Anti-Doping Organization and were tested.
- You tested positive after using a substance Out-of-Competition that was only prohibited In-Competition e.g., S9 glucocorticoids (See Prohibited List).
Using a prohibited substance or method without a TUE could result in an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.
In case that an application for a retroactive TUE is necessary after a sample collection, you are strongly advised to have a medical file prepared and ready to submit for evaluation.